How to put your best foot forward at your online hearing.
As a response to the pandemic the Family Court and Federal Circuit Court of Australia are conducting online hearings using Microsoft Teams; a video conferencing program.
Microsoft Teams when used by the Family and Federal Circuit Court of Australia creates a virtual court room; where the rules and procedures for ‘in person’ court hearings apply.
How to put your best foot forward at your online hearing – Top Tips
- It is important to check the quality of your microphone and video before joining the meeting. If possible you should use a headset with a microphone attached as this improves the audio quality.
- Ensure you have adequate lighting so that you are clearly visible and your background should be cleared of any clutter or distraction.
- Check that you are not wearing a hat or sunglasses at any point during the online hearing.
- Remember that you are visible and should not consume food or drink at any time during the online hearing.
- You should refrain from engaging any special features or employing any backgrounds while using Microsoft teams.
- A virtual court room commands no less respect than a physical court room.
- Ensure that you are in a location that is quiet, secure and free from distraction.
- You should use a browser that can support Microsoft Teams including Google Chrome. Internet Explorer should not be used.
- You can join a ‘teams’ meeting via the Windows App or your web browser. You will be given either option when you open the ‘teams invite’.
- If you are having trouble with your microphone or audio you may need to check your settings by clicking on ‘Device Settings Panel’.
Should you have any further questions regarding using Microsoft teams, please view the helpful video tutorials prepared by Microsoft.
If you need any assistance with your Family Law matter, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly team.